Monday, May 28, 2012

Thomas Salinas Own Words

This typwritten document, typed or dictated by Thomas Salinas was found in Bertha Craguns family history records.

  I, Thomas Perez Salinas, son of Epitacio and Manuelita Perez Salinas, was Demberf 29, 1881, at Hacienda del Alamo, Nuevo Leion, Mexico. Because it may be of interest to my posterity I will write briefly the facts relating to my birth, my mothers death, and my early childhood, as told to me by my Aunt and foster mother (my fathers only sister) and others: On the date mentioned above my mother together with other members of the family and hired helpers went to the sugar ranch, half mile or so from the home, for the purpose of making sugar from the cane.
  I was born in the ranch sugar house about half mile or more from the home, my mother having gone there with other members of the family to assist in making sugar from the cane.  My mother was very sick and immediately after my birth was taken to the home in town, where she died in about 1 year.  In the excitement of trying to save my mothers life I was laid on an improvised bed in the corner of the sugar house, at time of birth and remained there until the (midwife) had cared for mother.  She then went to the sugar ranch and wrapping me in her apron returned to my home.  My aunt cared for me until I was old enough to be left home with my sister.
  Whether from lack of proper nourishment and a mothers care, or natural disposition I do not know, but I have been told that I was a very peevish and cross child, and was often placed in a pen made from willows and sticks by my father, to keep me from hangin on to my sister as she tried to do the housework.

Below is the document as I found it:

No comments:

Post a Comment